Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Santorini, Greece

Hello from Greece! Yes I finally made it, after two (not one, but two) 14 hour ferries. One was over from Italy and then other one was from Athens to here. We could have been here within 4 hours from Athens but the only ferry left that was in "reasonable cost" was the 14 hour one, so we made the trek. But trust me, I am on the 4 hour one back next Monday. (don't worry Mom I bought my ticket).
Anyway Greece is wonderful. When we arrived we stayed a couple of days with Bennie's friends and they showed us around. We ate traditional Greek food, which was sooooo good after only eating pizza and pasta for three weeks straight, and I think octopus is one of my new favourite dishes. We also tried Enomilo and Rakomilo (I am not sure if that is spelled right) but it is wine and honey that you take shots of back and forth. It is served hot and it was really good. It was funny, they said whatever you do, don't stand up until the end because you will feel too drunk otherwise. So I listened but I wasn't drunk at the end, so maybe it wasn't as strong as they said it was....it was more sweet then anything. But we also saw the Acropolis and the Athen's center and now we are in Santorini. We haven't done too much here except lie by the pool, then at the beach and then back at the pool. I know life is tough, but tomorrow we are renting scooters and going to explore the island. People say that we can spend the whole day just bombing around, so we will see where the wind takes us tomorrow. I think we are also going to go on this tour on an old sail boat that goes to the hotsprings and volcano and then to the Sunset in Ola, where they are famous, so I hope that works out. Santorini is quite quiet which is nice and it is not what I expected. I thought there would be more of the white and blue landscape but I think it is just where we are that it is not as much. (Don't worry I am taking lots of pictures)
It is hard to believe that I will be home in a week. It has gone by incredibly quick and sorry that I haven't done the best job at updating this blog that often, so I appreciate all of you that did read it and I can't wait to see you all to tell you everything in person. I am sure I will update you for a final time in a couple days, so until then, I hope you are enjoying the BC weather (or where ever you are) because I sure am enjoying the weather here, and I will talk to you all soon.

p.s. Thanks again Sophie for the phrases, trust me they helped....and I have learned a few more that I will tell you when I get home.

Lots of Love
Carolyn

No comments: