Saturday, July 5, 2008

mmm Pizza

Hello from Naples. We have been here for a couple of days now and we are actually off tomorrow to an island called Ischia, which is a small island just off the coast by Capri and the Almafi coast. It sounds absolutely beautiful and our hostel offers lots of activities, so I am very excited. Apparently there is horse back riding, snorkeling, language and cooking classes and tons more. Honestly, I am excited about the beach....it has been over a week since I have worn my bathing suit and it is about time to catch some more rays.
Naples has been really great, considering that we heard so many bad things about it. Yes, it is dirty and yuo take your life into your hands when you cross the street, but there are not as many tourists which is soooo nice, and Naples is more of an Italian city, where everyone seems a little more authentic. And of course the pizza is AMAZING! I had a pizza today that didn't even fit on my plate and it only cost 4 euros. Today we also went through the underground tunnels of Naples that used to be aquaducts in Roman times and they were used as bomb shelters during WWII. It was super cool, and there was one point to enter into the tunnel we had to go into this persons apartment and go through a trap door under their bed....i know crazy but it was something that i always wished I would find under my bed as a kid, so it was very neat. Yesterday we went to Pompeii and saw the ruins and we hiked to the top of Mount Vesuvius. It was very exhausting, but definitely worth it. The view from the top was a total panoramic view of Naples adn the coast and looking down into the actual crater was amazing. It was a shorter time at the top because we had to catch our bus back, so although it was quick, worth the money. We actually met a girl from Richmond who joined us all day and today actually as well, so that was nice. Anyway we are back at the hostel now and we are chilling out, we are going to go do a night walk tonight. Julia and I have been doing a lot of our own tours, which has been very fun, and quite adventurous. We just take our travel book, our map, which I am in charge of now because Julia has left us the wrong way a few too many times now, but that is what has made it fun. But being our own tour guides has saved money and we have had a few more cultural experiences. I cannot believe that I am almost coming home, time has been so quick. But I will let you all know how Ischia goes and I will talk to you in a few. I hope everything is great at home, and I miss you all.
love you guys, ciao

ps. I forgot that I didn't tell you anything about Rome, but we did so much stuff. I will have to tell you all when I get back the actual stories, but a few highlights were, well seeing the Pope in person, couch surfing at Biagio's house and he made us dinner every night, buying an espresso maker, actually now liking espresso and obviously seeing the colosseum and the ancient forum. Like I said, so many things and we also treked across Rome and found where Julia's boyfriend Bennie's Nona lives and we rang her doorbell and visited her. She ended up making dinner for us, which was delicious, so all and all Rome was disgustingly hot, but so awesome. Ok, well I am off to tour Naples by night and eat Pistaccio gelato.....and left over Pizza!!

1 comment:

Jennifer Friedman said...

Sounds like an amazing trip so far - looking forward to more pictures!
xo