Monday, July 21, 2008

It's Coming to an End....

Good Morning, well it is morning here in Athens which I think makes it sometime very late at night for all of you, so I hope you all had good sleeps...I know I did. I am here in Athens now, back staying with my friends Stef and Con, and I am only here for one more night and then I begin the journey home. I fly to Frankfurt tomorrow and have about an approximate 15 hour lay over and then onward to Vancouver. If you ask me the question, "are you ready to come home," I would have to say "ugh yeah," because I have no other choice, but I know if I had more days here it would be so wonderful. But now that home is so close, I am very excited to see everyone...so you better be excited to see me....hahaha just kidding.
The last weeks of my trip have been perfect, I have met so many great new people who I know will be friends for a long time, I have seen countless things, and I have enjoyed great weather which I must add has blessed me with quite a good tan! Greece has been marvelous, Santorini truly was a vacation because all we did was lie by the pool or the beach and bomb around on ATV's. Oh, and for the first time, I rode a donkey! It was awesome, but of course I would get the stubborn one that would stop then run, then complain about anything and then would sniff other donkey's butts....it was an experience to say the least. In Santorini we did go on the day tour to the Volcano, which is the last active one in Greece, so we saw some smoke come out of it, and then we went and swam in the hotsprings that are around it. The concept was very cool, however the water smelt and tasted like sulfur because of the volcano and the water really wasn't that hot (the ones in Italy were much better) but anyway Julia and I were the first ones to swim in, so that was really fun. After we went and saw the sunset in Oia, which is the city at the top of the island where the sunsets are world famous. It was quite a sight, there were hundreds and hundreds of people all sitting on the cliff, the whole island practically was packed on all the streets to try and get a glimpse. It reminded me of a sporting event, because people were all huddled together eating snacks drinking beer and when the sun actually set the whole crowd started cheering and clapping...it was actually quite funny, I guess it's the most action they get in Santorini so its a big deal.
Our last day in Santorini we went to the Red Beach which actually is red and had a wonderful day. It was so hot, so I spent most of the day napping in the shade actually but I did manage to swim about four times as well. We also met these two girls from Fresno and we spent the whole day with them. They were staying at our hotel as well so we spent the whole evening together too. We went for dinner at the BEST Greek restaurant, which is ironic because that is actually what it is called..The BEST! and then we went to the Beach Bar. A very fun night especially since all night all we did was quote from the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," which was hilarious. We even bought a cake at the 24hour bakery at the end of the night just so we could say, "oh it's a cake!" It was just too much fun.
Julia and I had to say goodbye yesterday and yes I have to admit it there were some tears, which I think was unexpected for the both of us, but together we went through so much and I just want to say that I would not have wanted to do this trip with anyone else but her and I want to thank her for everything because I had the trip of a life time and it would not be half of what it is with out her.....so Julia (I know you are going to read this) thank you and I love you so much. Be safe in Naxos and beyond!
Well I guess I should probably start wrapping up, but I just want to say my trip has been exciting, adventurous, sometimes stressful, but one of the best experiences of my life. I think it is a good thing that I am becoming a teacher so I have summers off, because there are so many places I want to see now, that I didn't see this time, and so many places that I want to come back to. So thank you all again for the messages you all sent and keeping in touch with me, it was very appreciated and I truly am very excited to see you all. so I love you and I will see you in two days.

So long Europe, until next time......

No comments: